Friday, March 11, 2011

Weekend Movie: The "Natural" Cesarean



This is a great portrayal of new possibilities. Cesareans can be made gentler, kinder, and more mindful of the humanity of all parties. I've written a before on ways to improve the experience of a cesarean, and am thrilled to see this video getting out there! I especially love the emphasis on keeping the mother and baby together at all times if possible, with skin-to-skin as the foundation. Bravo to this whole hospital team for being open enough to question their own habits and being willing to find a new way.

What did you think of this?

5 comments:

  1. It made me cry. Had my c-section been a bit like that, I am sure I would not have ended up with PTSD. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you had such a difficult experience, and hope you've found help and support since!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post. I had a natural vaginal delivery with my first child and an emergency c-section on my second. I am also a women's health NP who was originally a midwifery student so the c-section was quite traumatizing since I understood in detail everything that was going on. I was amazed by the openness of the providers in this video to be malleable in their roles. We could be so lucky in this country...
    I also have a blog about women's health-specifically incontinence and pelvic floor disorders if you would like to check it out. I really enjoy your blog. Reminds me of my early days.
    http://thevaginahouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT video and a wonderful resource for moms wanting more. Thank you for posting this! I'll be spreading the word about this post/video.

    ReplyDelete